Saturday, January 7, 2012

My 2012 Draft Wish List!

 So I remember hearing fans talk about how the Knicks should have drafted Chris Singleton while I WANTED them to draft Iman Shumpert.  Now these same fans are telling everyone that they were the FIRST to tell you about the rookie.  Did i miss something?  I guess you can just say whatever these days and people will respect it.      Well I'm going to put my thoughts right here for everyone to see and anyone can take a look back months from now and call me on what I said.  Here is my current outlook on the 2012 New York Jets draft needs.  Keep in mind that my opinion will most likely change once I see some Combine numbers and who the Jets pick up and let go during the free agency period.  Still, here is where I stand TODAY.
     I Know some fans have different opinions on what we need and who shouldn't be on the team next year.  Quickly, I think Mulligan has to go and we don't need to sign a free agent or draft to replace him.  Josh Baker and Jeff Cumberland are already on the roster.  Mulligan was only a blocking Tight-End and even if Vlad Ducasse somehow steals the Right-Tackle position, Rob Turner will return from injury.  One of these two were dominant in the "Jumbo" position.  Tight-End is not a need.  Neither is Quarterback.
     Safety is a need, but I'm not convinced that Eric Smith Should be released... yet.  He is good in run defense so until whoever we bring in is comfortable with the entire defense, he should stay.  We do need to add a veteran player at the position, but young athletic talent is what's need in this position (more on that later).  I'm not sure if Jim Leonard should return or not.  I love him as a Jet, but I want to win and don't know how he fits into that.
     I am probably going to get a lot of slack for this comment, but I don't think the Jets need to draft a Right-Tackle or spend big money for one in Free-Agency.  It's time to see what Vlad Ducasse can do and give Wayne Hunter a chance to rebound from a horrible season.  I just think that we have bigger needs.  Again ,this is something that will either get me laughed at or make me look like an "expert."
     I don't want to focus on the round by round picks.  I would much rather have the Jets trade up and down to get the players they want rather than staying put and drafting the best player available.  When they Jets have traded up to get the player we wanted we ended up with Studs such as Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Dustin Keller, Shonn Greene, John Conner, and Jeremy Kereley. This is the approach  Iwant to see the Jets use this year to fix the NEEDS this team has.  When you don't have a number of needs then you can sit back and just choose talent.  We don't have that luxury.
  I want the Jets to drat Two of these four Outside-Linebackers. #1  Zach Brown OLB North Carolina.  #2 Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama.  #3 Vinny Curry DE Marshall  #4 Shane Scove OLB Stanford.  If even one of these players turns out to be a Stud to pair with Calvin Pace (who is more of a run stuffer at this point in his career) and Aaron "Mayhem" Maybin (who needs to add a few more pounds and a few more moves to be more than a situational pass rusher), then the front seven will be set for next year.  If BOTH players turn out to be good then, the OLB position will be set for the next few YEARS, and, we will finally have the pressure that has been missing during the Rex Ryan Era.
     The Jets also need to double dip in the Safety position.  With the Cornerback position being one of the strongest in the entire NFL, the Jets desperately need players that can cover the middle of the field.  If the Jets can get young athletic Safeties that can cover tight ends, then it will be nearly impossible to throw against the secondary.
    I think the Jets should draft two of these four players.  #1 T.J. McDonald SS USC.  #2. Ray Ray Armstrong SS Miami.  #3 Rashard Hall FS Clemson.  #4 Jansen Jackson FS Arizona.  The Jets don't need these players to be immediate impact players, but that would help.  It is okay if they need to be developed which is why we shouldn't release Eric Smith right away and why we should find a veteran.  Eventually though we need these players to be solid in coverage and provide the Jets with a complete secondary.
     I think we can all agree that we also need some help at the Wide-Receiver position.  Even if we sign a Free Agent I think we need more young talent to groom.  I said months ago that the Jets should keep Braylon Edwards and that I didn't want Santonio Holmes on my team.  Again, I have a blog now for people to look back on and call me on what I said. I'm looking pretty smart on that decision so far though.  I think the Jets should get one of these big Wide-Recievers.
     #1 Jeff Fuller WR Texas.  #2 Dwight Jones WR North Carolina.  #3 Reuben Randle WR LSU.  #4 Greg Childs WR Arkansas.  We need a deep threat to stretch the field who will also be a big body to help in the Redzone.  Hopefully one of these guys can be that answer.
     Again, my opinion may change after Free Agency and the Combine, but here is what I have for now.  Check out some of the Highlights on Youtube and let me know what you think.  I would also love to hear which players you think we should target in the draft. J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment